“Make every year better than the one before.” – Nick Symmonds
Based in Eugene, Oregon, Nick Symmonds is a professional track athlete and 2012 Olympian. A graduate of Willamette University, he competes internationally and specializes in the 800m for the US and the Oregon Track Club Elite under the guidance of legendary distance coach, Mark Rowland.
As an Olympian of Beijing’s 2008 games, he failed to make it to the finals, but, in that failure, he found a renewed dedication to his sport that he carries with him every day.
Nick also strives to assist struggling athletes obtain sponsorship. Disappointed in the sponsorship logo and branding restrictions placed on track athletes, he understands firsthand how difficult it is for these athletes to receive individual sponsorships that help them pay for the necessary training and travel to follow their dreams. He’s determined to change the sport’s governing bodies’ marketing restrictions which only allow minimal advertising dollars to reach track athletes.
In an effort to bring attention to this issue, Nick held a 2012 eBay auction, offering the winning bidder space on his own skin. He now prominently places a temporary tattoo with the winning agency’s logo on his left shoulder when he competes.
When Nick’s not out challenging and altering track’s fiscal landscape, his coach, Mark Rowland, is whipping Nick into shape. They train hard; they train long; they train all over the world. The result: America’s best chance at an 800 meter Olympic medal since Johnny Gray’s bronze in ’92.
While most of his races are individual events, Nick views his success as a team effort. His friends, family and teammates propel him as much as his shoes.
- Nick is quicker than 99.9% of the population.
- Nick’s favorite shoes are his Nike Victory Elites and Nike Zoom Mambas.
- As a Beer Mile Champ Nick is even faster if there’s a cold one at the finish line.
- Nick’s pet bunny is named Mortimer.
- Nick is a self-proclaimed “foodie.” (Not an easy thing to be when you’re in training.)
- Off the track Nick adores the outdoors as an avid fisherman, hunter and hiker.
- Nick is also very comfortable in the water – many weekends he can be found surfing and paddling.
For insight into Nick Symmond’s world and his run up to the 2012 Olympic games in London, follow @NickSymmonds on Twitter.